Senator Siewert asked the Minister representing the Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities, upon notice, on 26 November 2010:
(1) Is the Minister aware of the proposal for the Tillegra Dam, north of the New South Wales city of Newcastle.
(2) Is the Minister aware that no sustainable diversion limit has been set for the Hunter River system in New South Wales.
(3) Is the Minister aware of the two reports produced by Professor Richard Kingsford on the likely significant impacts of the Tillegra Dam proposal on the Ramsar-listed Hunter Estuary Wetlands.
(4) Will the Minister visit the Williams River Valley as intended in October 2010.
(5) What steps will the Minister take to inform himself of the issues if the Tillegra Dam proposal is referred to him by the New South Wales Government before the end of 2010.
Senator Conroy—The Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities has provided the following answer to the honourable senator’s question:
The Minister is aware that the Tillegra Dam proposal was subsequently withdrawn from assessment under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999. It is therefore no longer under consideration by the Minister or his department.